South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carnage 40K results
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:18 pm 

Thanks to those that showed up. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

Battlepoints

1st=Jon P (5,0,5, for 10 points total), Mylo (0,5,5 for 10 points total) Fergus (0,5,5 for 10 points total) and Nick 5,5,0 for 10 points total)
Win went to John based on influence of hobby love and sportsmanship scores. He won $20 for a Mighty Ape shopping spree and 6 Space marines.
5th Jin (0,0,0) Had a really bad day with with dice and cards drawn, poor fella.
Wooden spoon Berns (0,0,0) because Jin had more painted models.

Hobby Love

1st Mylo 11 points + a few more from the organiser for a great looking Bugs and Orks set. He won $20 for a Mighty Ape shopping spree and 6 Space marines.
2nd= Jon and Jin 12 points each
4th Nick 10
5th Berns
6th Fergus (paint more often, mate!)

Sportsmanship

1st= Jin McBrearty and Jon on 13 points. Awarded to Jin for a rotten day with dice ad cards. He won $20 for a Mighty Ape shopping spree and 6 Space marines.
2nd Mylo 12 points
3rd Nick 10 points
4th = Berns and Fergus

Overall the best all-round gamer award went to Jon P. Jon won a box of Command Squad Tempestus Militarum models, valued at $50+ rrp.

Thanks so much to Mighty Ape for all the awesome gear and support through sponsoring the event. With their help I had more prizes to give out than players who actually attended the event. For the participants who paid $10 to enter, each player walked away with a minimum of $20 in models and $20 in vouchers.
I guess I can draw from this event a couple of things:
1) Wargamers don't like small point games so they voted with their feet. This is a shame because I did ask for feedback from the community prior to cooking this event up and got very little in response (thanks for responding, Wes).
2) Either 40K as a tournament game is down in the popularity stakes, or Sunday is a poor day to game.
3) Maelstrom of war missions are extremely random and an unlucky streak like Jin had will trounce any tactical acumen you bring to the table. May need to house rule being able to burn useless cards more freely (Destroy a gargantuan creature!? Does anyone in Chch have one of these!?).
4) Mighty Ape loves us dearly and no matter the size of the tournament, may be inclined to help us in the future. We just need to keep the lines of communication open. If anyone wants to direct a thank you to David Greig at Mighty Ape, our champion supporter who really went the extra mile, I am sure he would appreciate it.
5) Battle-forged can foot it with Unbound armies.
6) Helldrakes are just awful to play against, right Berns?

Post subject: Re: Carnage 40K results
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:20 am 

For me, i just dont have the time to learn another ruleset which is so involved and expensive to buy into. 2nd Ed 40k, BFG and Bolt Action are where it's at. Also, time is at a premium right now and unfortunately gaming comes last.

I think 40k is too bloated to be a proper tournament game now. Just my jaded opinion though.

Good on you for giving it a go though.

Post subject: Re: Carnage 40K results
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:09 pm 

Thank you Nick for organising the tournament, great games to be had.