South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warmachine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:11 am 

Well yeah i've been doing research on where to go after 40k, sure fantasy is tempting, as their are those around greymouth who have fantasy armies and some who are even well versed in it's rules.

But i've pretty much decided to go Warmachine, for 1 main reason.

I want more involvement in smaller scales. I feel 40k is not a skirmish kinda game, to get more fun out of warhammer usually you have to supersize your list. With a lot of your units becoming one trick ponies who get crushed by one trick clydesdales.

In comparison, Warmachine is a lot more versatile in a smaller scale. Standard combat is similiar to Warhammer 40k, except the damage tables are a lot more complex, but if you concentrate your WarCasters 'Focus' (mana) into your Giant Fighting Robots (WarJacks), they gain special attacks and new found talents.

For example, if your WarJack is locked into combat with another WarJack, and you have an open hand (without a weapon or shield), you can spend a focus point to either headlock or armlock an enemy Warjack so the weapon or ability you locked can't be used against you. Or alternatively, you can spend that focus point to headbutt the enemy Warjack off it's feet, or pick the enemy Warjack up and throw it into buildings or enemy units, causing damage to both target and thrown Warjack.

That's only an example, i'm leaving out a lot of information so that you can research for yourself if you would be interested in Warmachine.

I realise I will probably end up the only one at the club playing Warmachine, but that's ok because I hope theres a christchurch club that plays it.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am 

For anyone interested, I have got a couple links:
http://kiwithralls.blogspot.com/ - Kiwi Warmachine Blog
http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/ - A well informed wiki of Units.
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.p ... re=min-wmc
- A Uk website with low cost and free international shipping, a WM Battleforce will cost about $70 from this site.

Oh and did I mention the company who produces the game is awesome? So awesome they actually released all the cards and entire rulebook for free so that players wont have to wait until next years release of the updated Hardcover Rulebook. So if you want to have a look at the rules and units. Refer to Here.
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=cat&cre=min-wmc-kdr

If you want a printed and bound (legal copy) of the entire rulebook get in contact with me and i'll bring you a copy on club night, be serious though cuz it will cost me about 3 dollers. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:41 am 

if you want more info on the game contact Izza or Owen izza111s@gmail.com

He is the south Island Press ganger he has lot of info and can help get you started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:21 am 

Thanks Troll.

I've sent you an email Ted, but feel free to ask me any questions anytime.

If your ever in Timaru, give me a yell and we could setup a game!.
:D

P.S Come to the Blighted side, Menoth doesnt love you, he just wants more souls for his army, not like Lord Toruk (he just wants your body :shock: )
:wink:

Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 am 

Hey cheers, im feeling more like steamfist zombies everyday! If I still don't like their warjacks after I physically get the models, i'll do some modelling and greenstuffing till I do. (If not convert some enemy stolen jacks and put a cryx cortex in them).

Haha i'm glad you use Asyphxious, apart from the charge, use all focus, use feat, use 5 focus and teleport away, I don't really know what he does lol.

And the events in chch would be possible for me, but timaru may be a stretch lol soz.

Post subject: Re: cool
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 am 

Chaplain Ted wrote:
Haha i'm glad you use Asyphxious, apart from the charge, use all focus, use feat, use 5 focus and teleport away, I don't really know what he does lol.

I find that above is a very effective way to win the game, charge the enemy warcaster, rip them to pieces and game over.
PS15 with Sustained Attack will pretty much secure a warcaster kill, if you've got Scything Touch on Asphy its PS17, and if you managed to get Parasite on the enemy warcaster (-3 ARM), your an effective PS20. 14 hits of that will kill anyone dead!

Another tactic is to get an arc node up near the caster and spam Hellfire on them until the dead, 4 POW14s will finish off most people. Again a Parasite can take that up to POW17s

Or you can let your army do the work, Sything Touch on some Bane Thralls and Parasite on the enemy caster gives an effective PS18 with 4 dice damage on the charge.

Cryx infantry can have some trouble hitting, so knocking things down before hand make certain your stuff hits (Deneghra spell Scourge, slamming or headbutting with a jack etc)

In my Asphy lists I tend to run 2-3 arc nodes, a couple of things to beat face (Bane Thralls, Slayer) then the rest is more what I feel like at the time.
I am in love with the Slayer in Mk2, 6 points, so free with most casters, MAT 7, so you dont need to boost to hit most jacks, and a PS22 Combo strike. Combine with Parasite and Sything Touch and you've got PS27.
:shock:

Chaplain Ted wrote:
And the events in chch would be possible for me, but timaru may be a stretch lol soz.

Fair enough, its a long way to come. Will keep you informed to upcoming events. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:07 am 

If you're ever looking for a game in chch feel free to pm me, I'm always keen to find new opponents. Also there are plenty of player at the Cavaliers club that meets on thursday night.

Post subject: Re: cool
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:11 am 

Izza wrote:
I am in love with the Slayer in Mk2, 6 points, so free with most casters, MAT 7, so you dont need to boost to hit most jacks, and a PS22 Combo strike. Combine with Parasite and Sything Touch and you've got PS27. :shock:

Don't remind me, ive never seen a khador heavy go down that fast :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:21 am 

Unholy1 wrote:
Don't remind me, ive never seen a khador heavy go down that fast :cry:

rolling 18 on 3 dice damage did help a wee bit.
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 am 

Bastard tactics indeed, I just read that email and had to change this post a bit. Sorry about the sinkhole part, I don't know how I got from mk2 to the mk1 section on battle college, I hope someone didn't make a link on mk2 - mk1.

Can you harpoon (reaper) enemy lightjacks ect over rough terrain? It doesn't say anything on the card but I have to make sure.

Is their anything that can deny or discourage enemy charges, since they chucked out helldivers sinkhole i'm stuffed for making a trench warfare tactica.

Can you harpoon individual models, ie squad leader.

What battle can you field your personal Cryx in (out of curiosity) ie duel -> apocalypse.

-phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 pm 

feh, gaspy is but a pale shadow of the death clown (aka Terminus).

Quote:
Bastard tactics indeed, I just read that email and had to change this post a bit. Sorry about the sinkhole part, I don't know how I got from mk2 to the mk1 section on battle college, I hope someone didn't make a link on mk2 - mk1.

the MkII info on battle college is far from finished, but most of the time the MkI is still relevant.

Quote:
Is their anything that can deny or discourage enemy charges, since they chucked out helldivers sinkhole i'm stuffed for making a trench warfare tactica.

Cryx have trouble with that, as do most non-cygnar factions, the best you can really do is have a cheap expendable powerfist-skeleton wall blocking a countercharge unit

Quote:
Can you harpoon individual models, ie squad leader.

absolutely, since in warmachine you always target enemy units in a model-by-model fashion, leader sniping is quite common until your opponent starts hiding them at the back of the unit (mkII changes this mechanic quite a bit, and the differences between the leader of a unit in the rank and file have all but disappeared save for officer (usually unit attachment) models.

Quote:
Don't remind me, ive never seen a khador heavy go down that fast

Lanyssa Ryssyl charging on Siege's feat turn. 26 point solo 1-hit-killing a cygnar heavy warjack. Glorious.Image

Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:30 am 

Quote:
If you're ever looking for a game in chch feel free to pm me, I'm always keen to find new opponents. Also there are plenty of player at the Cavaliers club that meets on thursday night.

Cheers, will do, but I don't know how long it will take to get an army up and running.

My general plan is a four phase implementation:

Phase One Duel Force: Battlebox, Asphixious and skarlock. All of which can be fielded within for a 15 pt duel (except denegrah dropped for asphix "gaspy?").

Phase Two Infantry Buff: 6 - 10 man powerfist zombies, necrosurgeon, maybe a brute thrall when I read more about them (3 for 3 points? Score!)

Phase Three Jack Attack: 2 - 3 Heavy Jacks: Seether most likely, reaper and maybe a Leviathan.

Phase Four Prick Tactics: Pistol Wraith, machine wraith, maybe stalker ect. (Need prick tactics advice)

Thats only my starting plan. It misses a lot of things, such as bane thralls, Satyxis raiders, bile thralls and terminus!.

Quote:
absolutely, since in warmachine you always target enemy units in a model-by-model fashion, leader sniping is quite common

Cheers, I'm a bit undecided on reapers and ogrun boarding parties, As entertaining and cool as harpoons sound, I don't know if they would be viable at such short ranges. (or maybe i'm just too used to WH40k ranges.)

Oh and feel to correct me or give me any phase advice, i'm such a n00b atm.

Also, found out most of my fiancees relatives live in Timaru, this (hopefully) means we can stay with relatives and check out the timaru warmachine scene. Looks like my armies gunna be like a travelling circus, played everywhere but the westcoast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:27 pm 

Quote:
like my armies gunna be like a travelling circus, played everywhere but the westcoast!

Why not?

Post subject: skaven
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:32 pm 

sweet this means i can buy some skaven un . . um . . . skaved?? yea that'll do

Post subject: k
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:50 pm 

Quote:
sweet this means i can buy some skaven un . . um . . . skaved?? yea that'll do

I've got some skaven i'd probably give to you cheap as, but only after you buy a bit of skaven, i dont want my mouse men going to waste.

Quote:
Why not?

Well because i'll have to find someone who wants to (or can) start playing warmachine in WCWGs. I can't afford buying another army for samantha lol and the response to this thread has been a bit underwhelming. We will see though it's still early.