South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnetisation
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:35 pm 

Oh k so ive decided that instead of building up ~3 or so weapon combinations on different SM sergeants it would be easier to magnitize one and then paint the different weapons up. This would also work amazingly with termies and tactical marines holding the special weapons etc. Also would work for weapons and doors on vehicles. I just brought the 1.6x1.6mm rare earth magnet pack off of maelstrom so im set with them. The only thing im lacking is the knowledge of how to insert the magnets into my models for optimum performance. So would any of you more experienced wargamers care to elaborate? Also some more hints on stuff that can be magnetised would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 pm 

I glued mine with 2-pot epoxy. Been using Bob Smith Industry epoxy (comes in two small bottles) for ages now, it's legendary stuff and way better than Araldite which is overpriced and comes in crappy injector tubes which constantly leak. Think I got the BSI stuff from Comics.

Initially I tried magnetising with really small magnets, inserting them into neatly drilled holes in the arm/hand joint. Problem was they just weren't strong enough to hold the weight of a plastic hand/weapon let alone something metal, so I switched to a larger magnet which is the same diameter as the wrist of the models I was doing (plastic orcs).

Before gluing the magnet on, cut back the end of the arm and the wrist of the hand slightly to shorten the limb overall (otherwise the width of two magnets added to the limb will lengthen it and look weird). Cut neat and carefully so you end up with the angle you want when they are joined again. Glue magnets on with epoxy, and let them cure totally before letting them connect.

You can't conceal the magnet if it's the same width as the wrist (unless you build up Popeye-style forearms), just paint them up to look like a bracer or wristband.

Oh and when you're gluing them on, mark each magnet on one side with marker pen so you know which way round to attach them - nothing worse than thinking the job's all done and finding one is the wrong way round and they repel each other!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:33 pm 

talk 2 glen he real good with magnets he uses them all the time

"bolt guns" ak47 of 40,000....... the all round weapon that just keeps firing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 pm 

talk 2 glen he real good with magnets he uses them all the time

"bolt guns" ak47 of 40,000....... the all round weapon that just keeps firing

Post subject: Magnets again
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm 

Just got my pack of magnets from teh UK yesterday and they are great! i tried em out on one of my sargents and it works so well. I didnt have a drill so i just used one of my finer tiped craft knives to drill a wee hole in the socket. I used super glue to hold the magnet in which worked fine as. I let the glue dry with the arm and socket joined together so the there was as little gap as possible. Ill probably need the use epoxy resin glue for bigger magnets though. Now all i need to do is keep track of the polarities of the magnets. Any additional tips would be greattt! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Magnets again
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:40 pm 

chaplain chris wrote:
Any additional tips would be greattt! Thanks.

Just watch you don't let the magnetised parts snap together from a distance ie connecting with force, as they can crack and break.

And keep your magnets the hell away from your computer! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm 

Quote:
And keep your magnets the hell away from your computer!

And the metal plates in your head :mrgreen: