South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CavCon 40k Campaign - 2014
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 pm 

Dates: July 12th and 13th

Saturday:
8.30-9: Registration and awkward pre-tournament chatter.
9-11.30: Mission One.
1130-12: Lunch.
12-2.30: Mission Two.
2.45-5(ish): Mission Three.

Sunday
9.30-12: Mission Four.
12-12.45: Lunch.
12.45-2.30: Mission Five (Zone Mortalis, Kill Teams).
2.30: Clean-up, prizegiving, tearful goodbyes, etc.

Teams of 2; Team should clearly be formed of Imperials/Allied Xenos (so Eldar, Tau) or Chaos/Raider Xenos (so Dark Eldar, Orks, Necrons, Tyranids)

Each player will have a 1000 point a modified Combined Arms detachment of their own (no Lords of War) with one player's detachment being the Primary for the army (and thus the warlord for Slay the Warlord and Warlord trait purposes) There will be a Kill Team game (rules are here) as well (200 pts) using the Zone Mortalis rules. It will be played in the corridors that were used at the past two CavCons.

Lists may be created from any Codex or Supplement released before the 1st of July; Knights are specifically allowed

Teams:

Imperials and Allied Xenos
Shane, Karn - TBA, Eldar
Nathan W, Cameron W - Salamanders, Salamanders
Tim, Tom F - Space Wolves, Grey Knights

Chaos and Raider Xenos
JD, Nick - ORKS!
Jamahl, Josh - Dark Eldar, Orks

Undecided as of yet
Keira, Matt

In general, this event is not at all competitive. It's similar to the Ides of May in that it's not a "competitive" event. "Hard" lists are discouraged; bring something fun and themed and plan to have a few beers and a good time.

Right now, a short list of unacceptable combinations include:

- "Come the apocalypse" level allies (things just aren't that bad yet)
- More than 3 (vehicular) flyers
- Any fortification that doesn't have an official model
- Any fortification with AV15
- Any combination of factors resulting in a re-rollable 2++ save (that's a 2+ invulnerable save that is re-rollable, including that whole "re-rolls 1s" special rule)

more details as they materialize

Last edited by Wes on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CavCon 40k Campaign - 2014
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 pm 

Scoring:

CavCon will use Planetary Empires tiles to keep track of which teams own more land (are winning). Each team will start with the same amount of tiles.

Accomplishing the primary objective in a mission will (usually) cause teams to steal tiles from their enemies. The continent on which the battle take place is not infinitely large, and as such there are a limited number of tiles. If you play a team without any tiles left to steal, then you can only loose tiles since the other side has nothing left to claim.

There will also be a set of "secret" secondary missions, inspired by the tactical objectives missions in 7th. Each team member will be given 5 cards. Before deployment, a player chooses which secondary mission they wish to attempt and places that card, face down off to one side. Once the tactical objective has been accomplished, turn the card over. If you complete more tactical missions than your opponent, then you will steal a tile. (so each side will have 2 tactical objective cards, the detachment belonging to the owner of the card must accomplish the mission)

Secondary Missions will be:

1) Secure the centre of the table (following all the rules for holding an objective; ie: being the only scoring unit with 3" of the centre of the table at the end of your turn)
2) Secure the centre of your opponents deployment zone (following all the rules for holding an objective; ie: being the only scoring unit with 3" of the centre of your opponents' deployment zone at the end of your turn)
3) Win a challenge
4) Wipe out an infantry unit in Close Combat
5) Wipe out an infantry unit by shooting it to death

Missions:

Round 1 Gathering Storm

Imperial and Allied Forces have been alerted to growing presence of Chaos and Raider forces. They must protect vital resources before they are stolen.

Deployment: Imperial and Allied players chose board edge. Dawn of War deployment (as per page 131 of the rule book)

Objective: 3 objectives, one in the centre of the table. One 18" in from each short edge, and 12" from each players long edge, on opposite sides of the board. This means there'll be a diagonal line of objectives, one at the edge of the Imperial deployment zone, one at the centre of the board and the last at the edge of the Chaos deployment zone.

Special Rules: Mysterious Objectives, Night Fight, Seize the Initiative

Scoring: The team with the most objectives at the end of the game steals a tile

Round 2 Someone set us up the bomb!

Despite the Imperium's best efforts, the Chaos scum have stolen enough vital components to make enough cyclonic torpedos to carry out exterminatus on the planet. Hit their base in attempt to recover the weapons.

Deployment: Chaos and Raider forces choose board edge. Vanguard Strike (as per page 131 of the rule book) Winner of the roll off to deploy 1st chooses which way to cut the board.

Objective: A single objective placed at the edge of the Chaos/Raider deployment zone (in the middle) This is worth 7 VP. Each unit completely destroyed will also give up 1 VP.

Special Rules: Slay the Warlord, Nightfight, Mysterious Objective, Seize the Initiative

Scoring: The team with the most Victory Points steals a tile.

Round 3 Slayer of Kings (as per Altar of War Pg14)

Despite their best attempts, the Imperium is still one step behind the schemes of Chaos. With the cyclonic torpedoes being prepared for launch, the Imperium makes a desperate attempt to assassinate the enemy commanders before they can give the order to start the countdown to planetary exterminatus

Deployment: Imperial and Allied players chose board edge. Short table edge with deployment zones that extend 27" from your board edge, not 24"

Objective: At the end of the game, the Chaos/Raider Xenos player receives 3 VP for each of their HQ choices that has not been completely destroyed. The Imperium/Allied Xenos player receives 3 VP for each Chaos/Raider Xenos HQ that has been completely destroyed.

Special Rules: Dawn Attack (nightfight on 1st turn) (that's right, no seizing the initiative)

Scoring: The team with the most VPs at the end of the game steals a tile.

Round 4 Get to the Bunker!

The countdown has begun! Ensure your Kill Team makes it to the missile command bunker in order to disable the cyclonic torpedoes before they can carry out planetary exterminatus

You must designate a unit in your list to represent your Kill Team, as well as a 2nd unit to be your back up Kill Team.

Deployment: Chaos and Raider forces choose board edge. Long table edge with deployment zones that extend only 9" from your board edge, not 12"

Objective: A single objective in the centre of the table. At the end of the game, your Kill Team or their back up must be in contact with the objective.

Special Rules: Seize the Initiative, Random Game length (you have to break into the bunker and who knows how long that'll take)

Scoring: If you have your Kill Team in contact with the objective at the end of the game, you win 2 tiles. If you have your Back Up Kill Team in contact with the objective at the end of the game, you only win one tile. If neither player has their Kill Team in contact with the objective, it's a draw.

Round 5 Zone Mortalis Kill Team

Bring your Kill Team to the hanger in time to stop the cyclonic torpedoes before they launch and wipe out the entire planet

Last edited by Wes on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:08 am 

Checking that I'm reading this right. You are allowing lords of war as long as they don't have a D weapon?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:27 am 

no RANGED D weapons (ie: Knights are in, in small numbers)

I'm looking for cool, themed armies here, so if you have your Inquisitor lead AM (IG) w/ some marine allies and a Knight, this is the time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 pm 

Isn't that 3 sources? So you couldn't do it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:03 pm 

EDIT: I should read my own 1st post more often - see my post below

Last edited by Wes on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:20 pm 

the 2 source restriction is still in the first post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:30 pm 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so it is.

then yes, we're sticking to 2 two sources. My bad Jamahl :oops:

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 pm 

So two sources means exclusion of things in say imperial armour books? As units in it are like "blood angels may take this as a heavy support option"

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:56 pm 

Or that Iyanden can't take any allies?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm 

I see what you're saying, and i need to make a decision on that. Let's see how/if the rules change at the end of the month and then i'll answer your questions from there.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:17 pm 

I hope I won't be too insanely busy to enter this. Cavcon was a blast last year. Dark Eldar all the way for me. Given how awful my Ravagers have been performing, I welcome building a rapid response force where I needn't bother with 'em!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:06 pm 

I'm hoping you can make it as well, Nick.

Mostly, i'm hoping to get my hands on a copy of 7th Ed so i can sit down and decide what to allow and what not to. regardless, since it'll be the 1st event of a new Edition, it'll be a bit of a mess, but i'm hoping everyone does their best to stick to the spirit of the event.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 pm 

Ok, made some changes to the restrictions:

Yes, YOU CAN ALLY IN AS MUCH AS YOU'D LIKE - 2 supplements with inquisitors and knights and legion of the damned, etc etc. I think the changes to the allies chart and the psychic phase need to be seen unfettered to be properly appreciated. that said, the "don't be a ****" rule is in effect. CavCon is more about fun, fluff and beer than it is about bring ass kicking lists (Conquest on the other hand....) so make a fun, themed list, come drink beer and learn more about 7th.

still not sure about Lords of War; will go and have a read of the 7th book and make a call on them by the end of the month. Knights are still under a 2 model max. depending on how D weapons interact with 7th, i'll be keener to allow a few more, but 2 is the max for CavCon this year.

Also added in a mission and how the secondary missions are going to work. Still contemplating running different missions for the doubles players and the single players. Just looking at decent narrative hooks for that.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:53 pm 

Possibly a bit off topic but if anyone wants to handicap themselves with a Salamanders player just let me know. I'll buy you a beer... :D