South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm 

Some nice blue vein I reckon :-)

Look forward to your next round of updates on the comp. I am thinking we (Nelson) should have a wee comp as well.

J

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm 

Keen to play a 25/8mm game this week at the club if anyone's available?

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm 

Matt,

I'm playing Kerry this Sunday but am happy to book in the following Sunday (27th),

Andre

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm 

Matt and I playing our first 28mm league game this Sunday morning, if anyone wants another league game after let me know.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm 

Thanks Andre.I'm keen but I'll have to confirm later this week.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 pm 

Thursday 17th, one 15mm AdlG and one 25mm DBA played.

Andre & Brent were talking about having an 15mm AdlG 'Wall of Crap' gaming event prior to Thursday evening, I was told, but Andre sprang a surprise on Brent and turned up with his very competitive Palmyran army........
Undaunted Brent deployed is Andalusian Arab wall of crap, all 36 units with Included Generals, against the Palmyrans 22 (I think) units. I did not see much of the game but did note that both armies were heavily engaged and that the Mediocre 'crap' Andalusians were falling like flies or evading off the table. Win to the Palmyrans 16-36.
With a bit more practise the Andalusian horde could well be a dangerous beast.
Well done Andre. I would advise that those playing Andre in future get his Army List in writing before the game.

On a smaller size table with larger size figures Mike & I play 25mm DBA,( 12 units aside).
Mike's Seleucids with two Elephants, Scythed Chariot included set about beating up my Mid Imperial Romans. I managed to get a Psiloi in front of one of the Elephants but ended up being outflanked on my right wing, Mike, of course, took advantage and was knocking holes in my line and had his Scythed Chariot chasing my General around. The last round of the game saw Mike, with two lost elements,set-up to take out my General with his Scythed Chariot, as the General was backed up and could not flee, a Legionary with his Knight General and another Legionary element with an Elephant, giving him a comfortable win as I had three losses at this stage.
Well the Roman Gods were with me during the combat phase, my Legionary unit drew with the Knight General and as all DBA players will know, even combat factors destroys a knight. My General meanwhile survived the combat against the Scythed Chariot by destroying it, but I lost a Legionary to the elephant so a Draw, mutual destruction 4-4

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:03 pm 

My Palmyrans have 1 game and lost 4. If this makes them "a very competitive army" I hate to think what "a real dog" of an army would be like.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm 

Aaron and I had a game today. Anglo Irish(me) vs Tamil Indian(aaron). I very kindly set up my longbow in front of a hill effectively negating my own shooting.

After some manoeuvring our lines finally clashed and mayhem ensued. To say the Tamils blew a hole in my line was an understatement. The clock saved my ass.

Final result. DRAW. Aaron lost about half his points while i was 5 or 6 off breaking.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:18 pm 

My mediocre heavy spearmen stood up to the Romans a longer than I expected. The problem was the non-mediocre LH on one flank couldn't handle the Cataphracts and got pushed off the table. On the other flank the heavy foot were tied up fighting the Romans while the LH got shot to pieces

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 am 

An army of 12 light horse (2 Of whom are included generals) and 14 light foot is always going to struggle against a solid army. His light horse either died to shooting or fled off table. His light foot achieved little before the main lines clashed and then were just spectators until they were pursued into and destroyed. Never have more than 1 line of light foot.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm 

Quote:
Never have more than 1 line of light foot.

Wall of crap army. Going for the most units possible remember. Anyway even though the flanks collapsed / ran away, the center mediocre spear took a large chunk out of your army before succumbing.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:59 pm 

I've been waiting for Brian to post yesterday's games. My "highly successful" Palmyrans have now lost 5 games and won 1. Talk about brilliant.
My 4 auxiliaries and 4 archers attacked 6 mixed unit sword/bow.....I killed 1 before my final unit died.
Meanwhile legionaries camels and cataphracts got shot up and killed by a lesser number of cavalry and light horse

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 pm 

Goodness, folk are awaiting my posts with bated breath.........

Big day at the Woolston on Sunday, with four games of AdlG played and a Saga session hosted by Eric.

Two 25/28mm AdlG Club Competition games were played and two 15mm AdlG games with no 'WoC' in sight.

Mark ran out his new 25/28mm Republican Romans against Matt's ( Hanibal ) Carthaginians and scored a win, always makes for a good start when your new Army scores a win first up. The battle looked to be heavily contested with both sides throwing everything in all along the line, I heard that Hanibal's Elephant did well.
Competition win to Mark.

The more entertaining 25/28mm Club competition game was between Andre, Commander of all the Romans in the East, and his nemesis, Kerry the Achaemenid 'slippery' Persian.
The deployment of the two armies drew much comment from the Gallery, the Legions with supporting Camels lined up opposite the Persian 'shootie' horse, the Cataphracts against the Immortals and the Roman Auxilia, supported by Palmyran Archers, against the Sparabarra.

The general opinion of the Gallery, "big win to Odaenathus".

Much banter and rule 'discussion' emanated above the clash of rolling dice and latin curses of "haec talis est excrementum " with Kerry getting a good few rules explained to him as the Immortals turned tail and ran into a plantation as his cavalry ponced around in front of the Legions trying to get out of the way of the Camels and Light Horse sneaking around his nether regions to prevent evading from charging Legions.
The Legions were shot up badly by the Persian Cavalry and failed to push them off the field, the Cataphracts stood around awaiting the return of the Immortals whilst the Auxilia & Archers were totally destroyed by the Sparabarra.

Well that was a surprise for sure, big win to Kerry and the Persians. 9-22
As this was a Club Competition Game it was pointed out to Kerry that you had to be a Club Member, he was last seen racing for the Woolston office.........

The 15mm games were more sedate.
Brent rolled out his 'tiny' Andalusian Arabs against my Ottoman Elite Handgunner and friends. I used Mark's Christchurch Easter Comp Ottoman List which included the Handgunner.
The Christian Knights made their way slowly into the fray but too late to save the Spearmen and Cavalry from the onslaught of 'elite' arrows fired by the Janissaries & Sipahis.The Handgunner had a great battle supporting the Sipahis then blasted a unit of Spearmen causing many casualties. A crushing defeat of the Andalusian Arabs by the Ottomans, 4-25

Brent was going to give Rick a 'learner' game in the afternoon but was overcome with exhaustion and wounds from his earlier game so I was offered the Andalusian Arabs to run against Rick's Jurchen Chin 'shootie' Impact Cav Boys.
Well what a difference a fresh General made to the Andalusians, they outshot and out-maneuvered the Jurchen Cavalry, the Spearmen punched through the Jurchen Swordsmen and the Christian Knights finished the job after dicking around for a bit, not wanting to get within charge range until the time was right.
Good win to the Andalusians 12-21

Well there you have it, the waiting is over Andre.
The question is.......... "are you using the Palmyrans in your next competition game "

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:50 pm 

Nice report Brian :)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 pm 

A fast brutal game. My cavalry took some shooting hits, charged in and died. My line of Heavy foot was shot to pieces before they got into combat. Spear attacking at factor 0 and with 2 or three disorders don't last long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next