South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 pm 

Three 25mm ADLG games today.
Brent, using a borrowed EIRoman army, had a warm-up game against Josh's Gallic hordes.
Josh was sizzled by Brent's HOT dice, now don't say a thing Kerry !!!
Brent then had a wee chat with Josh re suggestions to revamp his army list.

I ran my Late Imperial Romans against Mark's Triumpvirate Romans and Triumphant they were.
Mark had a heap of expensive generals and won the initiative, I deployed badly and did not throw any skirmishers forward to stop the line of Legions getting in my face on move one. No worries I thought as I had a command of Auxilia and Light Infantry overlapping the soon to be Triumphant Romans, on my right flank .
The lines crashed and we both turned the Left Flank of the enemy. Due to abysmal deployment, my Left Wing Cavalry Command disintegrated rather quickly, including the General, whereas Mark's held up longer and Victory was achieved even though my Auxiliaries and skirmishers were close to the enemie's baseline.
Good win to Mark without any Dairy products being used by either side and die rolling being sort of rounded out even in the end, just good tactics by Mark.

Brent then deployed as the Defender, like myself, and the battle unfolded much the same as the earlier game with Mark catching Brent's retreating/redeploying Cavalry wing whilst Brent was attempting to turn Mark's Left Flank. Brent's sizzling dice turned into a fizzer allowing the Triumpvirate Romans to triumph again. Another very good win to Mark even though he probably threw just as many low dice rolls during the game as Brent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:27 pm 

GarageCon warm-up day today, two games of 15mm ADLG played.
Brent's Andalusians last practise game was against Keith and the mighty Hungarians fresh from beating up my Ottomans a couple of weeks back.
And guess what ??? they showed those Arabs a thing or two with Brent throwing in the منشفة (towel) so as he could go to GarageCon with some troops still in one piece.

The mighty Palmyran (Romans with Camels) army was looking to increase its win % before GarageCon by knocking over my Jurchen-Chin. The two armies lined up with the Legions and a Camel, opposite a shootie Impact Cav wing, the Auxiliaries and a Camel opposite the Jurchen Sword/bow, with some Brush between them, and the mighty Cataphracts against two Heavy Cav elite shootie Impact Generals and some shootie Impact Cav & Light Horse.
The Jurchen advanced and had a shot scoring a few hits here and there then were charged by the Palmyran wings as the centre advanced on the Jurchen Infantry.
The Jurchen stood to receive the Legions + Camel and the Cataphracts, a melee ensued with Camel taking some wounds from a Jurchen General and the Cataphracts receiving more damage than the Jurchen Cav.
Another round of melee and the Romans oops Palmyrans, suffering more damage again.
The Roman Auxilary charge the mixed foot causing some damage. The Legions watch a Camel being slaughtered by the Jurchen General ( first time ever a Camel has been lost Andre managed to get out before removing it ) The Cataphracts were getting hammered but did manage to destroy the Jurchen CnC with a little help from friends.
Next round of combat saw the Palmyrans break and flee the field in a bloody mess heading for Nelson.
Good win to the Jurchen-Chin 14- ?? (classified )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

Only one ancients game yesterday. Kerry wouldn't field his Jurchen-chin against my new 100 years war English. Instead he borrowed my Han Chinese. I told him to simply rush my army and try to slog it out. But he decided to get clever and maneuver his heavy foot around a plantation and some fields in the centre of the table while his rough terrain troops cowered in a plantation on his baseline. My longbows shoot him up as he marched around, the only troops we couldn't hit were the prisoners of war who were meant to screen his battle line. When he finally reached my line the men at arms and archers easily destroyed him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 pm 

Only the one game today. My English defending a rather open battlefield against Keith's later Hungarians. The light horse and light foot screen were destroyed by the longbows who then hit most of the knights before they reached my line. Killing a couple of the knights in hand to hand combat broke his army.
So far the English have been as lucky as the Palmyrans were unlucky. Alternately the English are formidable and the Palmyrans are shite.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:49 pm 

awesum4 wrote:
Only the one game today. My English defending a rather open battlefield against Keith's later Hungarians. The light horse and light foot screen were destroyed by the longbows who then hit most of the knights before they reached my line. Killing a couple of the knights in hand to hand combat broke his army.
So far the English have been as lucky as the Palmyrans were unlucky. Alternately the English are formidable and the Palmyrans are shite.

Sounds like Keith got his timing wrong then. Did he have a gap between his lights screen and knights, and moved into your LB shooting range rather than forcing you to come into range?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:11 pm 

Keith's timing wasn't perfect but Andres shooting was brutally effective.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 pm 

Only one game today, Due to the English HYW ( Andre's new killer Army ) being called away to repulse a French invasion my Jurchen-Chin invaded the lands of Brent's Han Chinese.
Well that was a big mistake...!!! The Han elite Guardsmen dawdled around in the rear of the Han line whilst the the Han Heavy Foot (mixed sword & crossbow ) demolished the elite Jurchen Cavalry and Jurchen Medium Foot ( mixed sword & bow ) one move before the Jurchen General was about to sack the Han Camp thus saving face.
Complete disaster for me, well done Brent. Obviously the trip to Nelson has done you good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:30 pm 

Any My Little Ponies make an appearance today?
:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:53 pm 

Only one game today, 25mm BBDBA.
Mike surprised me my turning up with Early Imp Romans........not his Seleucid horde, to do battle with my Mid Imp Romans.
Well I surprised him by refusing to play against his 'infamous' Green Dice and let him pick a set of 3 dice from my special Competition set of dice. The last time he used these dice was when he won the 25mmBBDA event at Natcon 2017.
He threw heaps of '1s' and lost the game horribly, blaming the dice he conceded defeat.
I thought that my superior deployment and battlefield tactics gave me the magnificent Victory with the loss of 3 elements.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 pm 

Got a game in at the club last night against Andrei's Hundred Year war English with who he happily took down my Republican Romans. Well played by Andrei who has suddenly learnt subtlety and elusiveness with the English instead of the unrelenting aggressiveness I was prepared for. What is the world coming to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:14 pm 

barnstormer wrote:
Andrei who has suddenly learnt subtlety and elusiveness

Would that be otherwise known as 'cheese' ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm 

Played 28mm game, my Republican Romans vs Matt's lovely new Byzantine army... a bloody draw ensued.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:33 am 

Brian,

Moving longbows back around a forest to tempt a line of heavy foot to wheel around the same forest while under fire from longbows does not count as "cheese. Of the 4 legions attempting this 1 died, 2 had 3 hits, the other 2 hits and then they ran into my Hillman.

You really need to find a new record to play..The grooves in this one have become gullies deep enough to hide elephants in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:50 am 

awesum4 wrote:
Brian,
You really need to find a new record to play..The grooves in this one have become gullies deep enough to hide elephants in.

But I am famous for my Cheese Comments :D :wink:

"Blessed are the cheese makers", a line from the Life of Brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:09 pm 

But you used to use it to refer to either parts of the rules, or slightly dubious interpretations of those parts, or people who exploited those interpretations. In other words when there was at least a possibility of "cheese.
Now you just say the word when there is no mention at all of the rules, or dubious use there of.

Lots of people have been famous for doing something but knew when to stop doing them. Don't be Harvey Weinstein......know when to quit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next