South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:06 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm 

Me too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:27 am 

No, you are!

On another note, here in Nelson we are still in the process of training up Rob and Roundie in ADLG.
They keep coming back for more so we are looking to add another couple of players to the ranks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm 

If this keeps up there will be more ADLG players in Nelson than in Christchurch. Will have to make Garagecon a 3 day event so we can play everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 pm 

Played Tim's Romans with my Han last night. Early stages went well (apart from my cav and light horse fleeing off the table to avoid being swamped by Numidians). My prisoners fought like demons as I swamped the other end of his line. Then the elephant rampaged through my swordsman, the numidians looted my baggage and the legions decided to actually kill things.
It was a near run thing but quality and armour won out in the end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am 

Two games on Sunday, Brent v Kerry 15mm ADLG
Gordon V Me, 25mm BBDBA Club Competition

Kerry used Ordonnance French not sure what Brent ran just that it was a 'shootie' army.
Kerry sprang a large but illegal, ( some would say Cheesie ) ambush from a hill and then" shot Brent's army up" was the rumour I heard. Win for Kerry I believe.

The big game of the day was the Club 25mm BBDBA competition game between Gordon's III/17 Maurikian Byzantine Army and my II/64b Middle Imperial Romans of the East, I defended with a Fort on my left flank and some rough going on my right flank.
The Byzantine army of 18 Kavallarioi ( 6Cv ) supported by Spears, Artillery and Archers lost one command before breaking the Romans, destroying two Roman Generals in the process. The Romans were out manoeuvred, out played and ousted by the mass of the Cavalry. note the 6Cv represent the Byzantine 10 Rank Deep cavalry formation with armoured lancers in the front & rear ranks with bow armed cavalry between. A powerful army against foot. My Cataphract General and his two supports did the damage to break one Byzantine command.
Good win for Gordon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:15 pm 

Quote:
Kerry used Ordonnance French not sure what Brent ran just that it was a 'shootie' army.
Kerry sprang a large but illegal, ( some would say Cheesie ) ambush from a hill and then" shot Brent's army up" was the rumour I heard. Win for Kerry I believe.

Kerry's ambush was oversize. Neither of us realized this until Andre came along and commented. I had Han Chinese with lots of crossbow/sword units. They missed almost every shot. Kerry's LI bow screening his Knights and Pikes did not. Then the Knights and Pikes charged in and I discovered my troops couldn't fight either. a short brutal victory to Kerry,

Not a "cheesie" ambush. We just got the rules wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am 

Had a game against Andrei last night, I got absolutely hammered by Andre's Chinese. My poor Republican Romans were owned by his mixed units. Well played that man. I am playing Brent on Thursday hoping to get some redemption for the poor Romans.

I think my love for the Romans (Republic or Imperial) is a one way streak as I am not sure they love me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:13 pm 

One game of 15mm ADLG between Andre's HYW English and my Jurchen-Chin.
The English Archers were in fine form and blasted the Jurchen off the field in six turns.
In response to Tilman's call for average dice to be used at Conquest we kept track all our 6's & 1's ( included all Pip, shooting and combat rolls )
So in 6 moves I threw 21 1's & 19 6's
Andre threw 16 1's & 23 6's

All relatively even.
I lost the game through bad tactical play ( allowing the English too much shooting before the hand to hand stuff ), not throwing a heap of 1's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:13 pm 

New ADLG player Kevin Nielson, was given an introductory game by Andre in the 'French Rules'
Kevin fielded Japanese against Andre's Romans, mostly Elite Armoured Legionaries. Both armies turned flanks and the Japanese fired many arrows before meeting the Legions in melee. A mighty clash of East & West ended in Mutual Destruction, a draw.

Mean while Gordon & I played a couple of DBA games getting us both up to speed with DBA again.
As Gordon is practising for Conquest the armies will not be mentioned.
Gordon won the DBA game, I won the BBDBA game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 am 

Strange, a week out from Conquest and no ADLG games being played ???
Obviously the local Lads are feeling really confident.

Way over in the back corner Gordon was seen working out his Conquest DBA armies.
Good Luck Gordon :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:55 pm 

Possibly ADLG is being played in secret training camps so the biased mainstream media cannot pass on vital information to the enemies of the real people, good hardworking people, the people who made Christchurch wargaming what it is today. Not politically correct mamby-pamby left-wing fellow travellers, and Trotskyite revisionists.
Alternatively we had other things on as it was a lovely day, and as ADLG is just a game of dice there is no point practicing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:33 pm 

What he said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:02 am 

awesum4 wrote:
and as ADLG is just a game of dice there is no point practicing.

Kerry will agree I'm sure :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:27 pm 

I do notice that people only complain about the dice when they lose. When they win it's due to superior army choice and composition and superior tactics, very rarely do the dice play a significant part.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:44 am 

Aah the zen of gaming. Are you the sort of person who only notices the 1's you throw or do you notice your 6's

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next