South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:01 am

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ancients at the Woolston
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:47 am 

Aah the zen of gaming. Are you the sort of person who only notices the 1's you throw or do you notice your 6's

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am 

Big day at the Woolston Sunday 11/11/
Day two of Conquest saw much action with ADLG & DBA being played in the big arena, hopefully results will be published here sometime soon.
A more sedate game of 15mm ADLG was enjoyed by Rick & myself upstairs in the Club Room.
Rick running out his new Achaemenid Persian army against my old and well worn Lydian veterans.
The Persian Greek allies spent too much time preening themselves to advance on the Lydian Javelinmen & Thracian swordsmen to their front where as the Immortals & Sparabara advanced into shooting range and began to rain arrows on the advancing Lydian Heavy (armoured) Spearmen and elite Heavy Cavalry. The Persian Left wing saw the Persian Cavalry and Light Horse line up against the Lydian Light Horse in a big shoot-out.
The Lydian heavy foot closed and charged the Persian Immortals & Sparabara with the support of the heavy cavalry and eventually broke them. The mounted shoot-out came to an end when a reserve Lydian Heavy Cavalry unit charged the flank of the Persian Cavalry line causing the loss of a Persian General.
The combined total of Persian losses caused the army to break.
I suggested to Rick that he place some camels in his army & employ the Andre 'Camel' manoeuvre.
He is now looking out for camels :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 pm 

Only one game today, 15mm ADLG.
Andre's Byzantines V my Jurchen-Chin.

Terrain was good for me with fields for my Infantry to shoot from in the centre and the Byzantine flank march getting lost somewhere in Manchester St last night.
Good win to the Jurchen-Chin, much baggage looted and a Strategist General ransomed off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 pm 

One game today, 25mm BigBattle DBA.
Mike's Early Imperial Romans managed to break my Late Imperial Romans after a long hard fought battle.
Just a big slogging match. I did manage to loot the EIR's camp after three assaults...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:40 pm 

Sunday December 23rd saw half the games being played at the Club Ancients games :D :D
The other half being 40K.

The half that counted was a Club 25mm Big Battle DBA competition game between Gordon's III/17 Maurikian Byzantine Army and my II/64b Middle Imperial Romans of the East.

Gordon defended so placed the terrain, which turned out to be very good for me, with Woods on one flank and Rough Going on the other, so I set up between and did not advance much during the game. The Byzantine artillery moved into range and began firing whilst the rest of the Byzantine halted and watched the Roman Legionaries and Cavalry being assailed with catapult bolts for sometime. The Romans thought little of the hail of fire until a turma of Cavalry was destroyed, they then began making rude gestures at the Byzantines ( **%##+&**^^) causing the Byzantine Army to charge the Roman Line, this exposed both the Flanks of the Byzantine Army to devastating Roman flanking attacks which broke the Byzantine wings quickly causing the demise of the army.
Good win to the Romans.
That makes 1 win each in the competition which is best of 3 so the final battle on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:07 pm 

Two games played today, 15mm ADLG between Brent & Andre and a 25mm Big battle game between Gordon & myself.

Andre's HYW English ( the one with all the longbows :twisted: ) played Brent's Han Chinese ( the one that can have four nasty expendables :P ) well Brent doesn't like the expendables so no worries for Andre, or so he thought, until his heavy foot were being pushed over & down a rough hill.
A very close game, the English winning by 1 point I believe.

The big game of the day was the 25mm Big Battle DBA Club Competition Final between Gordon's Byzantines & my Middle Imperial Romans.
I was fortunate being the Defender so set the Terrain, a Fort, two Woods & two pieces of Rough Ground, most of which were on my side of the table.
The Byzantine army was approx two thirds double based Cavalry one third Spearmen with some Artillery and Bowmen.
My Cataphracts and two Generals deployed in the only piece of good going in the centre, the Legionarries & Auxila deployed in rough & woods.
After a bit of manoeuvre the Roman Cataphracts supported by some Legionaries & Auxilia charged the Byzantine centre and broke it, losing a Cataphract General in the melee ( the only Roman loss ) in the battle.
Good win to the Romans.

CWC 2018 25mm Big Battle DBA Club Competition Result

1st place & Winner of the Phil Barker Cup
Brian Sowman, II/64b Middle Imperial Romans of the East.

2nd place, Gordon Pinchin, III/17 Maurikian Byzantine

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:15 pm 

Only one game of Ancients played today amongst the BBQ crowd in the Sports Bar, 15mm ADLG.

Brent, warming up for CanCon, ran his Han Chinese against my Jurchen-Chin on a battlefield full of Fields,one of which was on a hill, a Gully and a Road running down one side.
Brent Defended and set the terrain. The large gentle hill covered with fields, dominated the centre and there were only small gaps of open terrain across the rest of the battlefield due to the many Chinese farmers in the area.
I decided to crack open the Han's Right Flank with my Infantry and then send my elite mounted wing through and around to capture the Han Baggage Camp, whilst skirmishing around the Gully, hill and the other field on the Hans Centre and Left Flank.
The plan actually worked although it was very costly, I lost most of my Infantry preparing the way for my Cavalry to sweep around in single file on the road. The Han Heavy Foot and Heavy Chariots found the terrain constricting too.
I was one move away from the Han Camp & 2 units away from breaking when the Han army broke.
Win for the Jurchen-Chin.

Big THANK YOU to the Cooks & Burger Flippers at the Club BBQ today.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 pm 

Another Cancon warm up at the Club today, 15mm ADLG game between Andre's 100 years War English and my Jurchen-Chin.
Andre Defended in the plains with a rough hill in the centre of his base line and some fields to the left of them.
There were some fields in the centre of the battlefield.
The English set up on the hill and out to the left field in a compact formation with the Foot Knights at the rear of the Archers.
The Jurchen set up their mixed Swordsmen Bowmen in the centre flanked by Medium Cavalry Impact/Bow & some Light Horse Archers.
The battle was over rather quickly as the Jurchen did not muck around just advanced and shot then charged the two advancing English Commands. The English Right Wing was holding the rough hill against the Elite Jurchen Cavalry wing who had orders to pin and work around behind the rear of the hill to capture the English Camp with the 2 Horse Archers. They made it to the top of the hill in sight of the camp and engaged some javelinmen in the closing stages without loss, losing 1 elite cavalry in the shootout.
The Jurchen mixed foot charged the English centre supported by the Jurchen Right Wing Cavalry & Horse Archers.
The Jurchen shooting was much more accurate than the English shooting and the mixed foot routed the English Centre.
The Jurchen General leading the Right Wing had a great time and felled an English General causing the demise of the English Army. 15 (21) - 20 (20) win to the Jurchen
I'm thinking that maybe I should be going to Cancon.......... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:30 pm 

Last Cancon ADLG practise game for Brent today, he ran his 15mm Han Chinese out against my Clasical Indian Gupta army which included four elephants.
Brent defended.
My two commands of three mixed Bow Sword,two elephants & two Lt Foot bow lined up against the Han Heavy Foot mixed Crossbow Sword supported by two handed Choppermen. Both mounted wings stood facing each other, the Han's two Heavy Chariots,two Heavy Cav Crossbow & two Lt Cav Bow against my Four Heavy Cav Impact & two Lt Cav Bow.

The Gupta wasted no time closing and engaging all down the line, both sides suffering casualties from the Shooting. A fierce melee went on for some time with the Han Heavy Foot beating the Gupta Mediums, the Elephants failed to fire two were lost, the Gupta mounted wing prevailed over the Han mounted wing.
There were many cries throughout this great Melee " Tilman was right", " ask Tillman to send some average dice "
After one round of extremely heavy casualties to both sides both armies broke simultaneously.
Draw Brent 22 (21), Brian 20 (20)

Our Best Wishes go out to Brent & Andre for next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:14 pm 

Ancients returned to the Woolston after a long hiatus with a very tight, hard fought, much cursing (on my part ), many 'Hurrahs' by Brent, during our 300 pt 15mm ADLG game today.
My Classical Indians in three Commands (not sure if that is legal in 300pts) defended against Brent's Warring States Chinese
(without the Strategist Sun Pin). My mounted command of Heavy Cav & Light Horse supported by the six Elephant command charged headlong into the massed Chinese Heavy Infantry whilst the large Indian mixed Sword/Bow command frightened off the Chinese Chariots & light Horse. The two lines remained stationary carving each other to pieces whilst the Indian Chariots & Light Horse danced around the Indian Swordsmen. The Elephants had some early success but withered slowly as did the Indian mounted wing.
Close run game with Brent breaking the Indians with 4 points to spare, 31/31 - 31/35
Well done Brent winning the first game of your prep for CanCon2020.

Tai, Tien, Di, Jiang, Fa.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War'

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:11 pm 

Two games of 300pts 15mm ADLG today.
Brent ran his Warring States Qin against Seleucids under the command of the CanCon #4, Andre, and smacked them about rather badly. Although Brent lost his Left Flank he managed to fend off Scythed Chariots & Elephants and win 25 - 31.
That's two wins in two weeks for Brent.........can he make it three in a row ??? That is the question on all our ADLG lips.... :?:

Keith's Facebook request for a game was taken up by my revamped, four command, Classical Indians and boy did they get a shock & a half when a Condottieri army jumped out of the box :shock:
The Indians defended and made use of a couple of fields in the centre from which to advance on & engage the Foot Knights & Longbows whilst the Indian Gupta Heavy Cavalry 'redeployed' away from the nasty looking Pikemen & Heavy Knights to their front.
The Elephants dodged some arrows & engaged the enemy with some initial success but flounded about allowing the Condottieri to redeploy their Knights and supporting Cavalry to engage & hold up the Gupta Cavalry whilst the Foot Knights & Longbowmen over ran the Indian Guardsmen & Archers guarding the Left Flank of the Elephants. This exposed the Elephants to a merciless front & flank attack breaking the Indians.
Welcome back to ADLG Keith with a good win. next to nothing - 31

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 am 

It was a great game against Brent. Two solid armies who got stuck in. It's a very different game at 300 points. A series of bad throws is a set back rather than a disaster. I won our first massed charge by 7 disorders to 1, was looking good, and eventually I destroyed that flank. The massed charge in the middle was 6 disrupts to 1 to Brent and he eventually destroyed me there. The other wing was 4 heavy cavalry and 2 light horse against 4 heavy chariots and 4 light horse, that was never going to be good, and it tipped the battle his way.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 am 

Three in a Row was the question, the answer, NO :oops:

Sunday 19th May Brent ran his victorious 300 ADLG pts of Warring States Chinese against a Seleucid army under the very skillful leadership of Keith and was soundly beaten.
Information from my spies informed me of some dreadful Chinese manoeuvring to counter the deployment of the Seleucid host arrayed in a sensible manner as you would expect. The Chinese were worn out from all the counter marching and had little strength left for the fight.
Well done Keith.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:16 pm 

There was nothing dreadful about it. I started with my medium infantry command on my left in front of his cavalry and my chariots on the right facing elephants. I marched the mediums to the right and the chariots left.
The chariots arrived and died and the mediums attempted to a) block a hole in the middle and b) face the elephants. In the meantime his pikes, both mediocre and ordinary had ground through most of my heavy foot.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:23 pm 

Brent wrote:
There was nothing dreadful about it.

Sounds pretty dreadful to me...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next