South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADLG Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:18 pm 

It's Official...................there is Cheese in ADLG
Lifted off the ADLG Forum.

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 07, 2018 6:46 am Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I’m not sure if putting units immediately in front of battle troops is an historic tactic. My understanding of battles in the Carthaginian wars is that light infantry screens were pushed well ahead of the battle lines (to screen them whilst they deployed) but were withdrawn well before the battle lines clashed.

However threading say a HI exactly between two LI does seem rather cheesy. We could argue that this degree of precision simply isn’t possible but some people will insist they can do it.

It's cheesy, but it's an explicit mechanism in the rules so we all accept it. What we're arguing about is no less cheesy, but because its an emergent property of the rules rather than an explicit mechanism it's more controversial.

Dave

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm Sujet du message: Re: The Light Infantry [and Light Cav] Trap Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:

There's plenty of cheese in the game we just need a definitive ruling on it that takes into account the problems caused by the situation.

a) how the interpenetration works when the unit behind becomes an obstacle because it is now the support.

b) can the player decide which of two units is the support or will there be a ruling that specifies the front unit? And what this means for other situations.*

c) what this means for shooting at and by the units in overlap.

The simplest way out would be a ruling that units that would be contacted flank to flank by a charge should have the option to evade [provided they have the ability, of course]

* Conceptually, I think this presents problems for the rules. To date I've assumed that every unit in a position to contribute to a melee is doing so. In the same way every unit capable of shooting at a target has to shoot at it even if they have no effect, such as the odd numbered light unit or the fifth HC Bow. They can't just choose to shoot at another target because their priority target is overloaded.

I agree perhaps even more strongly than Dave this has other situations.
So you declare the front unit supporting the unit. Can you change that to the rear unit in a succeeding turn? I want one unit to support in my move, but when enemy charges I want the other unit. What about if I ask my opponent they declare which, then I don't charge. So it has no matter. But in there turn they want to change it so they can move through?

Look historically probably for every case we have of lights falling back through heavies we have a case of they didn't get through in time.

Post subject: Re: ADLG Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 pm 

Official? Or just someone with the same views as yourself. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 am 

So it's "official".....2 carefully selected cut and pastes from a 4 page discussion of a situation so rare I've never seen it happen in a game. On a forum with hundreds of discussions taking place over several years.

Just because someone has posted a comment on a forum that doesn't constitute "proof".

You really must try harder Brian. Starting with a consise definition of "cheese". A word you scatter about like a sumo wrestler with chronic dysentry, and with as much accuracy.

Fake news .......fake news

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 pm 

I'm sure Dave Allen could answer your question re the definition of Cheese, he seems to know all about it.
Definitly not Fake News as here is proof, and my mate Trumpy has not called it Fake News. :D

http://artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/v ... c&start=15

daveallen
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 03, 2018 9:16 pm Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Sorry, I was going to explain, but then I had to go out.

Imagine a Light Infantry unit on an entirely open plain. Because it can evade an enemy Heavy infantry unit will never be able to catch it.

Unless, that is, another enemy unit can get behind the Light Infantry. All you need is the tiniest sliver of a unit [say an elbow] within 4cm of directly behind the LI and suddenly it can no longer evade and so ends up dying when the HI charge home. Hence Elbow of Death.

It's cheesy, but it's an explicit mechanism in the rules so we all accept it. What we're arguing about is no less cheesy, but because its an emergent property of the rules rather than an explicit mechanism it's more controversial.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm 

So now you have proved to your own satisfaction that ADLG contains some "cheese you will be able to move on and no longer ever mention the word again. Leading to a happier, more peaceful, safer world for all us Ancient players.

After all as the opening scene of " the life of Brian" revealed; blessed are the cheese-makers. Though you will almost certainly wish to delve in the precise meaning of cheese-makers, and whether it applies to other milk based products or to other dairy foods.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:14 pm 

What's so special about the cheesemakers? Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; I guess it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products. Clearly Brian's no cheesemaker; he's just a very naughty boy!