South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

South Island Wargaming, New Zealand.

It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC + 12 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COVID-19: DBMM Easter teams competition postponed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 am 

Hi all

I was driving to the supermarket on Thursday evening when I heard the Prime Minister announce live on the radio that New Zealand's borders would close that evening, March 19. For me that's when "the '****' got real". All of a sudden our group of islands 2,200km (1,300 miles) from our nearest neighbour felt very isolated. I pulled over and kept listening.

Later, from the supermarket carpark, I phoned Allen Yaxley and he confirmed he had decided to postpone the DBMM Easter competition. After all the hard work Allen has done over many months that must have been frustrating decision to have to make. However, it was very definitely the right decision and one supported by everyone involved, as you will see in the comments on Allen's post on the DBMM New Zealand Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/824840264342234/ and copied onto our blog https://dbmmnewzealand.blogspot.com/

Other recent updates include:
    Preparing for self-isolation
    What next on the painting table?
    Hindu Indians vs Siamese
    New Kingdom Egyptian architecture

Not wargaming but please remember the best COVID-19 information for all of us in New Zealand is at https://covid19.govt.nz/ Check out the link and save it, it's a well put together website.

Best regards
Vince

Post subject: Re: COVID-19: DBMM Easter teams competition postponed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:17 am 

Thanks for this very wise post Vince.

As a community we need to be looking after each other even if it means conveying unpleasant messages or having to convince friends and colleagues to "come around" to the new reality. It's our duty to call out socially irresponsible behaviour in the new environment to protect both our hobby community but also wider NZ society.

1. The medical and experiential evidence is clear and being well communicated daily on Radio NZ.
2. A rapid exponential increase in positive Covid19 case numbers overwhelms a country's medical resources - as a result large numbers of people die. example: Italy.
3. Exponential increases get to a point where the number of positive cases doubles every 3 days - increases in NZ positive cases may be on the verge of exponential climb.
4. We have a chance to stem that dramatic rise if we act now and act hard.
5. Most people with Covid19 are asymptomatic - they do not show symptoms but the virus is silently present. For every positive case there are many undiagnosed positive cases.
6. The only way to stop the virus spreading is to stop close physical contact with other people and wash your hands - when the virus runs out of human hosts it dies because it can't spread further. Unfortunately some of the humans also die in the process; the vast majority will get better if they have sufficient medical resources etc.
7. Countries (hurt by SARS) that have moved very quickly to "lock down" have managed to get the new case growth rate under control so that their medical resources can cope with helping those infected. example: Singapore.

An online petition calling for the Government to immediately move to Alert Level 4 initiated by hospital ER doctors a couple of days ago is circulating and has now gained many non-medical signatures . I think it may have gained something like 40,000 signatures in 48 hours.

My advice is:
1. Wargames clubs must close now.
2. Follow the physical distancing and personal hygiene guidance on the http://www.Covid19.govt.nz website.
2. If you are over 65 or already "medically impaired" - get your regular flu jab now.